CORONAVIRUS or COVID-19 – Some helpful Information You Need to Know In Order to Stop the Spread of the Virus.
What is Coronavirus or COVID-19?
According to the simple definition of the World Healthy Organisation (WHO), it is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered virus known as coronavirus.
What are the Common Signs and Symptoms of Coronavirus Infection?
If you are infected with coronavirus you will experience mild to moderate respiratory illness. If you are healthy and well, according to WHO, you can be recovered from coronavirus infections without requiring any special treatment.
However, WHO further stated that, older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, and cancer are more likely to develop serious illness.
What is the Best Way to Prevent the Transmission of Coronavirus?
WHO has been informing the world that the best way to prevent the spread of Coronavirus is to be educated and be well informed about the Coronavirus, the disease it causes and how it spreads.
Be cautious and conscious at all time and protect yourself and others from infection by washing your hands or using alcohol base rub frequently.
If you do not have access to alcohol base rub, washing your hands frequently with soap in recommendable. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE without thoroughly cleaning your hands.
How Does Coronavirus Spreads?
The Coronavirus viruses are spread primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge (mucous) from the nose when an infected person cough or sneezes.
Is There a Specific Vaccine or Treatment Available for Coronavirus Infected Person?
According to updated information from WHO, there are no specific vaccines or treatments for Coronavirus infected person. However, number of developed countries are undertaking ongoing clinical trials evaluating potential treatments. Those countries will report WHO to provide updated information as soon as clinical findings become available.
How to Use a Mask to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus?
The image below shows the step-by-step guide to use your mask to prevent coronavirus infections.
STEP 1: HAND WASH – Before putting on a mask, clean your hands thoroughly with alcohol base rub or soap and water.
STEP2: NO GAPS – Cover your mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
STEP 3: DO NOT REUSE MASK – Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and DO NOT REUSE SINGLE-USE MASK.
STEP 4: TO REMOVE THE MASK – When you are about to remove the mask, remove it from behind. DO NOT TOUCH THE FRONT OF THE MASK. Discard the mask immediately in a closed bin. Clean your hands thoroughly with alcohol base rub or soap and water.
Seven (7) Higly Recommended Ways (rules) to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus:
Below are the seven steps to follow to prevent the spread of coronavirus when you are infected or to prevent yourself from contracting the coronavirus.
RULE 1: FREQUENT HAND WASH – Frequently washing of your hands will keep you safe from contracting the COVID-19 as well as preventing it from spreading it.
RULE 2: DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES, MOUTH & NOSE – That is, without washing your hands, try as much as possible to avoid touching your eyes, your mouth, and your nose.
These three parts your your body are the entry points of coronavirus. Coronavirus can not enter into your body through other parts of your body to infect you.
RULE 3: COVER YOUR NOSE & MOUTH WHEN COUGHING – In order to prevent coronavirus from spreading, cover your nose and mouth with a cloth or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
If it happens so quick and you are unable to reach a cloth or a tissue, then quickly cover your nose and mouth using the bend of your elbow.
RULE 4: ABSTAIN FROM CROWDS – Simply stay away from places where there are many people gathering. Avoid going to places like Cinema or Movie Theater, party and any social meetings and gatherings, market places, supermarkets or mega malls, live sports stadiums and fields.
Do not get close to the people who show signs of fever or cough.
RULE 5: STAY HOME – Simply stay at home when you are not feeling well or having signs of fever or cough.
Seek nearby health centers, or COVID-19 Test Sites, or contact the health authority or personnel within your town or your area to test your COVID-19 status.
RULE 6: SEEK IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION – That is when you have a fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, immediately you should seek medical attention.
First you must call COVID-19 Test Sites near your location.
RULE 7: GET INFORMATION FROM TRUSTED SOURCES – In order to prevent yourself from contracting and spreading of coronavirus, be careful with all the information you hear and read from the people and the media.
Internet is filled with misinformation and false claims and make up stories to attract you to read and spread their lies.
Any advice or information from your local Health Department and The World Health Organisation should be of trustworthy to read and adhere to it.
The Symptoms of Coronavirus
It is very important to lookout for the following signs or symptoms.
- It will first infect the throat, so you’ll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
- The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
- With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
- The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you’re drowning. It’s imperative you then seek immediate attention.
Important Information from a Health Worker to His Family
Following information are sent from a heath worker currently working with the COVID-19 Patients at Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) to his relatives for guidance.
1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.
2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degree Celsius (79/81 degrees Fahrenheit). It hates the Sun.
4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours – so if you come into contact with any metal surface – wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but – a lot can happen during that time – you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
10. Can’t emphasise enough – drink plenty of water!
The Signs and Symptoms
1. It will first infect the throat, so you’ll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you’re drowning. It’s imperative you then seek immediate attention.
Please share these words with everyone within your reach to be aware of these important information about COVID-19.